Friday, October 29, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday


Over at A Few More Pages (on of my favorite book blogs!), there is a wonderful meme.  This blog is the brand new host of this book blog, so I'll join in this week.

How to participate: All you have to do is share the first line (or two, I'm not too picky) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading (and can go pick up a copy if it sounds good!). Then, if you feel so moved, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence (thanks to Rose City Reader for inspiring this meme). The link-up will be here at A Few More Pages every Friday.

I am currently reading The Rebellion of Jane Clarke: A Novel.  Here is how it begins:

"May 6, 1769
Jane Clarke stood in the sedge growth on the lip of the dune and looked out over the half-drained bay, the ribbons of sand rising up through the retreating water."

The judge (me) is still out on this book.  I really thought I was going to devour it, but so far it is not terribly exciting.  It has its moments, but not every book is going to be enthralling after all.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, it isn't exactly a gripping start, but it does make me curious.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings on Friday! --And thanks for saying such nice things about my blog. You made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete