Sunday, December 26, 2010

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers Book Review

Redeeming LoveRedeeming Love by Francine Rivers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book completely surpassed all my expectations.  I had heard good things about it, and i thought the premise of it being a retelling of the story of Hosea in the old West sounded intriguing.  As I began this book, I was so drawn into the story line that I often found I did not want to put it down.

Angel and Michael Hosea's characters were so skillfully written, and nothing about the story seemed contrived.  I found myself near tears so many times.  After all, I could relate to Michael's dilemma since I am currently in love with a non-Christian who is so embittered about the things of the Lord.  I am always pleased when a Christian author is able to master the technique of weaving Christian principles into a story.  And this author does.

As much as I loved the story, I think the author's note at the end of the story truly impressed me as well.  It was something to see a Christian author tell her testimony and explain how her salvation experience was somewhat akin to the experience of Angel.  I also appreciated the frank way the author dealt with the physical relationship between Angel and Michael.  So many Christian authors do not deal with this topic openly, but Francine Rivers is not one of them!

Finally, I think the story of Angel's childhood prostitution and ensuing young life truly broke my heart.  I am sure that there were girls just like her who did exist in the history of our race.  Sometimes it was hard to read the details, but it only added to the connection I felt with the characters.



View all my reviews




Synopsis From goodreads:
Best-selling author Francine Rivers skillfully retells the biblical love story of Gomer and Hosea in a tale set against the exciting backdrop of the California Gold Rush. The heroine, Angel, is a young woman who was sold into prostitution as a child. Michael Hosea is a godly man sent into Angel's life to draw her into the Savior's redeeming love. This remarkable novel has sold over a million copies globally and has been a fixture on the CBA bestsellers list for nearly a decade. A six-part reading guide, suitable for individual use or group discussion, is included in this best-selling novel.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite books. Hmmm, think it's time for a reread!

    Thanks for the blog visit!

    ReplyDelete