Monday, January 10, 2011

Music Monday--Challenge Week #2

Okay, only one album to review tonight.  I was pretty lucky.  I got to review an album that has my current favorite song.  I have been fighting off a lovely cold, but here goes.

I first began listening to Zac Brown Band when I heard their first single of their first album The Foundation.  I heard "Chicken Fried", and I instantly liked it.  I bought the album with a gift card I had won, and I truly enjoyed it.  This sophomore album does not disappoint.  I easily give it 5 stars.  There might only be one or two songs that don't really resonate with me, but they are nothing major.

I think what I enjoy most about this album is that the band has truly come into themselves.  Zac Brown is not afraid to sing things just as they are.  He puts in such a way that you can relate to it.  In so many ways, he has brought back old-time country music with a modern twist.

They start out with "Let It Go."  One of those nice I-don't-care-what-you-think-or-anyone-else-thinks--I'm doing it my way song.  Pretty nice.  Don't let things bother you too much.  Certainly could be a single for them.

"Knee Deep" is just a fun, little song.  And it is followed by "No Hurry"--the ultimate country lazy song.  And then on to "I Play the Road."  This song I think explains how hard it must be to be on the road and always leaving your family behind.  He has 4 kids, and since he comes from a family of 12, he has no intention stopping.  It must be hard in his situation to be on the road so much and love it.  But then imagine having your child continue to come and ask you when you're coming home.  I suppose those involved in the military understand that pretty well.

"Cold Hearted" is of course about a woman just like that.  And then "Whiskey's Gone" is probably a good follow-up.  "Quiet Your Mind" and "Colder Weather" don't really stand out  to me, but they may in time.  "Settle Me Down" is pretty good--nice beat.

Then to my song!  "As She's Walking Away" was the song that caused me to buy this album.  It is my current favorite song, and whenever I hear it, I love it more.  It features Alan Jackson, and he and Zac Brown co-wrote the song  The video is pretty awesome as well.  I have featured it before on my blog.  I'm sure I'll feature it again!

I like "Keep Me In Mind."  The kind of songs that talk about waiting around for someone to finally love you always mean a lot due to my situation.  I always say those kinds of songs make me think of Martin, but then, what song doesn't?

"Who Knows" and " Martin" are nice little ditties.  But as I was finishing listening tonight, the final song "Make This Day" really stood out to me.  It is Zac Brown just having a grand old time.  His personality truly shines through in this song, and I this song definitely brings a smile to my face.

Now, I am going to post a video not from this album.  This is a video of a song that people expected to find on this album.  If you would like the video of my favorite song, check out this post.

I realize that this song may rub some people the wrong way.  I always liked it, but there was a time I thought I shouldn't because it involved a story about the devil.  But if I make that choice, then I guess I better not like Faust or Don Juan.

So here it is:  "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."  Indeed, Zac Brown is a master!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Zac Brown Band and "As She's Walking Away" is one I have to sing along to everytime. I have their first album. Now I'll have to be on the lookout for this one.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete