Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Well-Spoken Wednesday--God is Using a Book Again to Speak to Me

You might remember a short time  ago,  I read the book Redeeming Love.  The book was a  fast read and had a profound impact on me.  You can read about it here and here.  God spoke to me so clearly about my relationship with Him and with Martin.

I picked up a book a couple days ago--Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy.  I have always respected this man.  In fact, when I lived in Florida, the Buccaneers were horrible until Tony Dungy came along.  I became a fan of that team because of this man.  And then when he moved on to the Colts, I supported them  as well.  I was impressed with his testimony, and  I appreciated the fact that he seemed  so cool and calm  on the field.

When I began the book, I was certain that I would not like the book.  Was I ever wrong!  I am not a football  fan.  I could care less.  I only try to watch it because my mom and Martin like it.  But this book was not about football--not at all.  It is a about a man who is completely committed to Christ.  I can hardly wait to finish it!

Today as I read, God spoke to me again.  First of all, I read the quote he wrote by C.S. Lewis:  "There are only two kinds of people in the end: Those who say to God 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'"  I had to read that a couple times to get it, but I got it!  This goes right along with surrendering your life to God.  If our wills are completely submitted to God, our will will be His will.  Interesting, eh?

As I continued to read, I got to a part that talked about how Dungy suffered through mono in his second  year with the NFL.  He couldn't understand what God was doing.  This could cost him his chance to  remain with the team.  He asked another godly man on the team, and the man replied, "Tony, God allowed this to see what is the most important thing in your life.  And right now  it is football."  I was  cut to the quick and almost desired a  tear-fest.  I began to think of Martin.  (I know, I always do.)

So I realized again why God had allowed things to somewhat cool between Martin and me (though they are fairly hot again).  I was defining myself on whether Martin was interested in my physically. I was letting the physical intimacy rule me, rather than God.  I was forgetting that Martin needs  a Savior.

I will certainly post a review when I finish this book, but I just wanted to tell you, dear readers, about how God is using this book to work in my spiritual life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment