Saturday, August 14, 2010

First and Second Kings Study

I have been reading through the Bible chronologically for a while now. I got to choose the version I read--I chose the Message for something different. It has been really good to read the familiar and unfamiliar stories.

I said to my Mom yesterday that I don't know of any studies that go through Samuel and Kings. We know the stories of David and Elijah/Elisha, but there is not a study that goes through these--especially 1 and 2 Kings. I was reading again this morning, and it occurred to me that maybe I should write my own. Not to be published in print form, but I could study it and post on here.

Now before I get too far ahead of myself, I wouldn't do this right away. Maybe not till January or something, but I can begin to gather information. I'm sure that Jensen has a study on them. Kay Arthur may as well. But I want a verse by verse, chapter by chapter study.

The books of Kings are really very sad. It is so sad to see evil kings and those who started out well and ended so bad. I'm sure Chronicles is just as sad. So far, I have just been amazed at all the killing and fighting included in these. I always knew it was there, but I forgot how rampant it was. The kingdom of Israel was horrid. And really Judah wasn't a whole lot better. It is amazing that in spite of all that, God did not wipe Israel off the face of the earth. I certainly would have!! God's grace and mercy certainly does permeate the Old Testament.

I think we tend to shy away from the Old Testament because we don't understand it, and it doesn't fit with our New Testament way of thinking. But I certainly know that God included it in His Word for a reason. Even the genealogies are there for a reason. Maybe we won't understand everything on this earth, but with the help of the Holy Spirit, we can certainly understand it spiritually and make applications.

So I will continue to pray, but I believe in a few months, I may begin doing this study.

0 comments:

Post a Comment