Saturday, August 28, 2010

Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I would probably give this book 4.5 stars, but there's no place to do that.  This was a refreshingly wonderful read!  It was the first time I ever really read a romance novel.  It was certainly a good choice.

I was instantly drawn to the story since it took place in the 1800's in England.  I love historical novels, so this fit right in.

I fell in love with the main male character--Simon Hunt.  He was a charming man--rugged, yet gentle.  Annabelle, the object of affection, was has-been aristocrat.  The majority of the novel deals with her hunt for a titled, wealthy man.  She decides that she needs to marry a titled man and not marry for love.  She keeps the company of three other women who are "wallflowers."  No aristocrat wants to marry them.

As the novel goes along, Annabelle struggles to keep her resolve as Simon pursues her.  I won't give away the storyline, but it takes a predictable turn three quarters of the way through the book.

Towards the end of the book, Lisa Kleypas inserts an incident that takes the reader by surprise.  And finally, Annabelle and Simon come face to face with their true feelings.  The final scene between them is certainly worth the read.

Since the story is the first in a series, she inserts an epilogue that sets things in motion for the next books in the series.  I think she accomplishes her purpose of giving a teaser for future books.

I was very pleased with Lisa Kleypas's writing style.  She was very descriptive in the way she told the story.  It was a predictable romance novel, I but I felt that she held my interest quite well.

One side note--yes, it had a few bedroom scenes, but how refreshing it was that they only occurred after the two got married.  (Yes, I guess that is a spoiler.)  It may offend some readers, but I felt that it was handled in a delicate manner, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.  I was not embarrassed in the least.  And thankfully, the language used in the book was not what I would call true profanity.  That was nice, too!!  I would recommend this romance novel to women in their 20's and beyond.


View all my reviews



0 comments:

Post a Comment