Monday, August 30, 2010

God is In Charge of Everything

I had been meaning to write this post this weekend--it has been on my heart.  Thing were busy this weekend with our yard sale and much more.  So I write it today.

As I wrote back on Friday morning, I won a big prize.  And it really got me to thinking.  So many people would say I was lucky.  I won a flip camera, and over 3000 entries were received.  It was only chance that my number was chosen.  It is always exciting to win, but it's all decided by fate and chance.  Many people, even Christian people, would see it that way.

But as I got to thinking about it, is that really true?  When the numbers were put into random.org, did it just happen that my number came up.  Did I just happen to have the right comment number?  I don't think so.  In fact, I know this is not the case.

Think about it.  God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.  He is Yahweh--God of the past, present and future.  He knows everything that is going to happen before it does.  He alone is in charge--of EVERYTHING!  That means that when I entered the contest, He knew I would win.  When the numbers were put into the hat, He knew my number would be chosen.  He knew every contest I would win.

Now does that mean that I am absolved of any responsibility?  No, indeed.  God gives us a free will, doesn't He?  He doesn't make us do anything.  I could have made the decision not to enter the giveaway.  And then I wouldn't have won, would I?  And God would have known I wasn't going to enter, and He would have known that I would not win.

When I think about this, it boggles my mind.  I have an finite mind, and it is impossible for me to understand the infinite.  But as Christians, I think it would be a good idea for us to recognize and live our lives as if we believe that God is in control of everything.  Because HE is!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment